Men’s basketball defeats Lafayette, 67-54, in season opener

Fifth-year senior guard Jordan Miller drives to the basket during the second half of Miami’s game versus Lafayette in the Watsco Center on Nov. 7, 2022. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

After unveiling the first Elite Eight banner in program history pregame, the Miami men’s basketball team got its regular season going with a 67-54 win over Lafayette on Monday night at the Watsco Center.

Though Miami came away with a victory, it was not easy. The ‘Canes shot the ball poorly as a team, allowing Lafayette to stay close for the majority of the game. The Leopards even led at halftime, 30-28.

Miami shot 36% from the field on 21-of-58 attempts. The ‘Canes consistently had good looks, but the shots did not fall. Fortunately, Lafayette was not much better, making 37% of its shots.

Each team went 10-for-34 from the three-point line.

“They played the pack defense, which we’ve explained to our players how challenging that is and you have to hit threes,” head coach Jim Larrañaga said. “So not only did we not make enough threes when I think we were very open … but we also missed free throws.”

Third-year sophomores forward Norchad Omier and guard Nijel Pack lock down a Lafayette player and force a timeout during the second half of Miami’s game versus Lafayette in the Watsco Center on Nov. 7, 2022.
Third-year sophomores forward Norchad Omier and guard Nijel Pack lock down a Lafayette player and force a timeout during the second half of Miami’s game versus Lafayette in the Watsco Center on Nov. 7, 2022. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

Despite the Hurricanes’ offensive struggles, their defense played exceptionally well. In addition to holding Lafayette to a low shooting percentage, they also outrebounded them 46 to 34 and forced 14 turnovers.

Fourth-year guard Isaiah Wong and third-year sophomore Nijel Pack led the team in scoring with 16 points each, but what kept Miami in the game was forward Norchad Omier’s dominance on the inside.

The 6-foot-7 Arkansas State transfer had 11 points and 15 rebounds. His ability to get rebounds over multiple defenders allowed for many second chances on the offensive end.

Despite the team’s poor shooting, Pack sank four of Miami’s 10 three-pointers. His quick release allowed him to get off shots with defenders nearby.

Third-year sophomore guard Nijel Pack drives to the basket during the second half of Miami’s game versus Lafayette in the Watsco Center on Nov. 7, 2022.
Third-year sophomore guard Nijel Pack drives to the basket during the second half of Miami’s game versus Lafayette in the Watsco Center on Nov. 7, 2022. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

Wong also played a great offensive game as usual, scoring in a variety of ways. He made three shots behind the arc and was also able to get by his defenders and finish at the rim.

Wong also had five rebounds and four assists, which made for a well-rounded game.

“We had a much better offensive performance in the second half and you can give credit to all the players. There’s not just one guy,” Larrañaga said. “Obviously, Norchad rebounded the ball extremely well, Isaiah shot the ball extremely well [and] Nigel made some key shots and free throws down the stretch.”

Miami will look for its second win this Friday night against UNC Greensboro at 7 p.m. at the Watsco Center.