Miami hires Josh Gattis as offensive coordinator

ANN ARBOR, MICHIGAN - SEPTEMBER 28: Christian Turner #3 of the Michigan Wolverines celebrates his third quarter touchdown with offensive coordinator Josh Gattis while playing the Rutgers Scarlet Knights at Michigan Stadium on September 28, 2019 in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)

Miami football head coach Mario Cristobal’s assistant coaching staff is nearing completion with the hiring of Michigan offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Josh Gattis.

The hiring was first reported by Bruce Feldman of Fox Sports.

“It had to be something special to get me to leave something special, and this was it, man,” Gattis told The Athletic Sunday morning. “This place is it. I am so excited about coming to The U.”

Gattis began his coaching career in 2010 as a graduate assistant at North Carolina before serving stints as both Western Michigan’s and Vanderbilt’s wide receivers coach.

Assistant coaching tenures at Penn State and Alabama followed before Gattis was named the sole offensive coordinator at Michigan before the 2019 season.

Michigan ranked 25th nationally last season in total yards per game, including 15th in rushing yards per game. Gattis won the Broyles Award in 2021, which is an annual award given to the person deemed the best assistant coach in college football.

In his prior two seasons as Michigan’s play-caller, the Wolverines finished 69th (2019) and 79th (2020) in total yards per game, respectively.

The hiring of Gattis comes less than a week after former Auburn defensive coordinator Kevin Steele accepted the defensive coordinator job at Miami.

Previous article10 songs that radiate #BlackGirlMagic
Next articleHurricanes downed by Cavaliers, drop second straight
Luke Chaney
Luke Chaney is a sophomore from Fort Lauderdale, Fla. studying journalism and public relations. Chaney joined The Miami Hurricane in the beginning of his freshman year as a sports reporter. His favorite memory reporting on UM Athletics has been covering Miami football spring practice. In addition to his work as Sports Editor, he also writes about the Miami Dolphins for Five Reasons Sports and works as a play-by-play broadcaster at WVUM 90.5 FM. When he's not writing about sports, Chaney loves to play basketball and hang out with friends and family.