Campus Life, Community, Cover, News

UM passes 1,000 COVID cases

Senior Cassandra Garcia swabs her nose for a COVID-19 test at the Pavia Garage on Sept. 22.

Senior Cassandra Garcia swabs her nose for a COVID-19 test at the Pavia Garage on Sept. 22. Photo credit: Ally Gaddy

With one week of in-class instruction remaining, the University of Miami passed 1,000 cases of Covid-19. This includes cumulative cases among faculty, staff and students for the fall semester across UM’s three campuses. According to UM’s Covid-19 dashboard, as of Nov. 14, there have have been 1,040 reported cases since Aug. 16, largely among residential and non-residential students who make up 911 of the cases and 129 for faculty and staff.

The news comes during a recent surge in reported cases at UM and across the country. UM reported a record number of new positive cases on Nov. 12, less than two weeks after many UM students went to Key West to party during Halloween where they ignored university COVID protocols. With less than two weeks until Thanksgiving, the dashboard indicates 120 active cases among residential students and 124 among non-residential students.

Although more off-campus students have gotten COVID than their on-campus counterparts, the rate of on-campus infections is significant. According to UM’s website, 4,199 students live on campus, which indicates an infection rate of 8.9 percent for on-campus students, over double the national infection rate.

On Friday, Nov. 13 at 3 p.m., with 983 reported cases at the time, UM sent out an email praising the success of the semester.

“I am proud of the students, faculty and staff who came together and made it possible to have in-person instruction,” reads the email, which was signed by Roy Weiss, UM’s Chief Medical Officer for the Covid-19 pandemic. “Many believed that it could not be done, but we succeeded with minimal infections.”

Although all the plans for next semester are not yet known, the university has indicated repeatedly that in-class instruction will take place.

Jesse Lieberman

Jared Lennon

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...