Basketball, Sports

Forward Sam Waardenburg out for season with foot injury

Redshirt Senior Forward Sam Waardenburg shoots a free-throw during Miami’s game versus Alabama A&M in the Watsco Center on Dec. 14, 2019.

Redshirt senior forward Sam Waardenburg shoots a free-throw during Miami’s game versus Alabama A&M in the Watsco Center on Dec. 14, 2019. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

Redshirt senior forward Sam Waardenburg will miss the entire 2020-2021 college basketball season after it was announced he sustained a left foot injury in practice.

Per the UM athletic department, Waardenburg, a key rotation player for the Hurricanes, is expected to be sidelined for approximately six months.

“It is a big blow to us to lose Sam,” head coach Jim Larrañaga said. “We are going to miss his leadership. It’s going to require at least one of our younger, inexperienced guys to step up.”

Waardenburg played in 30 of Miami’s 31 games last season and started 24 games. The 6-10, 225-pound New Zealand native averaged 5.9 points per game and a team best 6.0 rebounds per game. He led Miami with 1.1 blocks per game, good for No. 12 in the ACC. Waardenburg shot 41.2 percent from the field and 25.0 percent from 3-point line.

Despite being a redshirt senior, Waardenburg will be allowed another year of eligibility because of the NCAA’s ruling that allows all winter sport athletes an extra year of eligibility.

This is a developing story, more info to come.

Isabella Didio

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...