Briefs, News

Tau Rho organizes sanitation drive for homeless women

Gema Vilchez

Earlier this month, members of the Tau Rho Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority delivered more than 250 bags of donated personal care items to homeless women in the Camillus House homeless shelter in Overtown.

The sorority collected more than 1,000 items – from sanitation pads and panty liners to toothbrushes and socks, said Reina Mitchom, vice president of the Tau Rho Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.

While volunteering on campus to make sandwiches and snack bags during the summer, the Tau Rho Chapter got inspired to collect personal care items after talking with homeless women about their needs.

“The first thing people think about when giving back to the homeless is making a ton of food, and while they were really grateful for that, they can’t even afford food, so what makes you think that they can afford sanitation products?” Mitchom said.

“The main point of the drive was to maximize the impact we could have on those homeless women locally, and we definitely exceeded the expectation we set for ourselves,” said Mitchom.

Items were collected at resident halls and the university center. The sorority also received monetary donations, which made it possible to purchase more products and packaging.

Tau Rho plans to do another drive once Covid-19 restrictions are lifted.

“The women were very grateful, some of them started crying,” Mitchom said of the group’s visit to the homeless shelter near downtown Miami. “It really showed how many resources they were lacking, and it provided a really inspirational light for us to be able to provide those resources by simply putting this drive together.”

Donated items for homeless women are assembled prior to packaging. Photo credit: Reina Mitchom, vice president, Tau Rho Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.

Gema Vilchez

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...

University of Miami researchers applaud the scientific inquiry and access to reliable data that accompanies the legalization of cannabis—as four more states recently approved measures, and federal legislation to decriminalize it continues to progress. ...

The prestigious Pan American Art Projects Gallery will donate 25 percent of a virtual, live event to the University Libraries’ parcel. ...

Members of the University of Miami community share their ideas on how to persevere during the pandemic. ...

University and celebrity musicians will participate in a benefit concert on Thanksgiving Day to support the nonprofit organization Nurse Heroes Foundation. ...