Community, Culture

‘Teen Wolf’ star Tyler Posey becomes most recent celebrity to join OnlyFans, sparks debate

Shortly after “Shake It Up” actress Bella Thorne’s disastrous debacle with the site, “Teen Wolf” star Tyler Posey sent social media into a frenzy when he announced he had joined OnlyFans, a subscription-based service popularly used by sex workers, on Sept. 28.

The now-removed post included a video of Posey playing the guitar and singing, coupled with the caption “come get wet with me,” directing fans to click the link included in his bio.

“Welcome to my OnlyFans. I play guitar in my bare ass,” he sang. “Hang with me and we’ll be best friends. It’s my OnlyFans.”

In less than a day, he had over 4,000 subscribers. In one week, he had accumulated over 13k likes.

The news set Twitter ablaze, some ecstatic about the opportunity to see their celebrity crush in a more candid light and others…not so much.

Many did not hesitate to call out the hypocrisy surrounding this announcement, noting the hoards of people who were criticizing Thorne for joining were now congratulating Posey.

Across the board, many were upset at the fact that celebrities were joining OnlyFans, especially in the midst of a pandemic. Users claim that OnlyFans is a service used by sex workers to survive, and celebrities infringing upon it are making it even harder for those who rely on OnlyFans as their main source of income.

Posey now joins the long list of celebrities who have recently joined the platform, including Cardi B, Austin Mahone, Tyga and Jordyn Woods. Currently, fans are able to enjoy Posey’s content by subscribing for $14.99. As of now, 13 posts have been uploaded, ranging from semi-shirtless pictures to videos of him cooking semi-nude.

Featured photo from @tylerposey58 on Instagram.

Ligna Patidar

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...