Football, Sports

Miami in the NFL: Week 3

Former 'Cane, and current Ravens Defensive End Calais Campbell. The Baltimore Ravens were defeated by the Kansas City Chiefs by a score of 34-20 on Monday Night Football at M&T Bank Stadium on September 28, 2020 in Baltimore, MD.

Former 'Cane, and current Ravens Defensive End Calais Campbell. The Baltimore Ravens were defeated by the Kansas City Chiefs by a score of 34-20 on Monday Night Football at M&T Bank Stadium on September 28, 2020 in Baltimore, MD. Photo credit: Baltimore Ravens/Shawn Hubbard

Week 3 of the 2020 National Football League Season has concluded after a primetime showdown between two superstar quarterbacks on Monday night. Highlighted by explosive offensives and a startling coloration between on-field success and not being a New York franchise, Miami Hurricanes alumni were active throughout the entire league once again.

A trio of former Canes stood out for the Chicago Bears in their come from behind 30-26 win at the Atlanta Falcons Sunday. Tight end Jimmy Graham (‘05-‘09 basketball, ‘09 football) caught two touchdowns on six receptions for 60 yards, punter Pat O’Donnell (‘13) averaged 53.75 yards over his four punts, and safety (‘12-’15) Deon Bush logged a solo tackle. On the other side of the field, defensive end Allen Bailey (‘07-’11) made two solo tackles including one for a loss for Atlanta.

The New York Jets have struggled in 2020 and fell to the Indianapolis Colts 36-7 Sunday. But another delegation of Miami players had notable afternoons. Receiver Braxton Berrios (‘14-‘17) caught a first quarter touchdown on his way to four catches and a team-high 64 receiving yards, running back Frank Gore (‘01-‘04) led the Jets in rushing with 57 yards on 15 carries and tight end Chris Herndon (‘14-‘17) caught three passes for 21 yards. In addition, receiver Lawrence Cager (‘15-‘18), who graduated from UM but transferred to the University of Georgia as a graduate transfer for his senior season, caught two passes for 35 yards including a 19-yard reception.

Cornerback Corn Elder (‘13-‘16) registered four tackles, including two solo for the Carolina Panthers in a 21-16 win at the Los Angeles Chargers. Safety Rayshawn Jenkins (‘13-‘16), who played alongside Elder in the defensive backfield at UM, was a leading defender for the Chargers, totaling nine tackles, including three solo and 2.5 for loss as well as a sack. Linebacker Denzell Perryman (‘11-‘14), who played with both Jenkins and Elder in Coral Gables, made four total tackles for LA. To round out the contest, Chargers K Michael Badgley (‘14-‘17) made a 41-yard field goal and an extra point.

Running back Travis Homer (‘16-‘18) had two carries for the Seattle Seahawks—totaling 19 yards including a 12-yard rush. Homer also returned a kickoff 17 yards. Through the air, tight end Greg Olsen (‘03-‘06) caught five passes for 61 yards.

Safety Jaquan Johnson (‘15-‘18) registered a tackle assist for the Buffalo Bills as his team held off the Los Angeles Rams for a 35-32 home win. Defensive end Joe Jackson (‘14-‘17) did the same for the Cleveland Browns in a 34-20 win at home over the Washington Football team. Ditto for defensive Jonathan Garvin (‘17-‘19) for the Green Bay Packers in a 37-30 win over the New Orleans Saints on Sunday Night Football.

Defensive end Calais Campbell (‘05-‘07) made four tackles, including two solo for the Baltimore Ravens in a 34-20 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday Night Football.

Running back Duke Johnson (‘12-‘14) carried the ball 13 times for 23 yards and a touchdown, albeit in a 28-21 losing effort for the Houston Texans at the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Linebacker Anthony Chickillo (‘11-‘14) made a solo tackle for the Denver Broncos in a 28-10 home loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Featured Image courtesy of The Baltimore Ravens, photo by Shawn Hubbard.

Austin Pert

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...