Cover, Football, Sports

Greg Rousseau opts out of 2020 college football season

By Isabella Didio

Gregory Rousseau (15) wears the turnover chain for the first time in his career after forcing and recovering a fumble.

Gregory Rousseau (15) wears the turnover chain for the first time in his career after forcing and recovering a fumble. Photo credit: Josh Halper

Defensive end Greg Rousseau is opting out of the 2020 football season, Miami head coach Manny Diaz confirmed to reporters during a pre-fall camp media conference on Thursday.

Rousseau, who would have been a redshirt sophomore this year, was slated to be a first round pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and was widely regarded as the Hurricanes best player. After recording 15.5 sacks and 34 solo tackles in the 2019 season, Rousseau won ACC Defensive Rookie of the Year.

Diaz said he was made aware of the decision via text at the end of a video call with reporters.

“As a coach, we are for these young men,” Diaz said. “We are advocates for them and if this is what he has chosen, then we will support him.”

Defensive coordinator Blake Baker added, “We couldn’t be happier, we support his decision 100 percent. We knew that it was something on his mind.”

Miami will look to graduate transfer Quincey Roche, Jaelan Phillips and Jahfari Harvey to step up in the absence of Rousseau, according to Baker.

Isabella Didio has been the sports editor at The Miami Hurricane since 2019. She can be reached at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Isabella Didio

Instead of in-person celebrations at Hard Rock Stadium, President Julio Frenk announced that the University of Miami will hold its four observances online because of updated COVID-19 data. ...

The newly chartered Peruvian Students Association seeks to expand its impact and influence beyond campus, supporting protests against education cutbacks in the South American country and connecting students across the United States to their Andean roots. ...

Leyna Stemle found that by attaching green LED lights to fishing nets in Ghana, the illumination was able to divert most of the reptiles from becoming entangled and hurt. ...

As the world observes the 32nd annual World AIDS Day, a University of Miami team is shining a bright light on a neighborhood initiative to curtail the epidemic. ...

With the acquisition of the new instrument and an accompanying nanoindenter, studies at the College of Engineering are entering a new and advanced era of materials characterization. ...