Cover, Football, Sports

D’Eriq King named Hurricanes starting quarterback

By Isabella Didio, sports editor

Redshirt Senior quarterback D’Eriq King throws the ball during the first day of Miami’s spring training on Wednesday, March 2 at the Greentree Practice Facility.

Quarterback D’Eriq King (1) throws the ball during the first day of Miami’s spring training on Wednesday, March 2 at the Greentree Practice Facility. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

In a move that was expected, but was made official Monday, Miami head coach Manny Diaz announced D’Eriq King, a grad transfer from Houston, as the starting quarterback for the 2020 football season.

“D’Eriq’s hard work both on and off the field has earned him the starting quarterback position,” Diaz said in a statement Monday. “His leadership qualities have been evident since he arrived on campus, continuing through mat drills, spring practice, our virtual meetings and summer activities. We’re excited to see him lead this offense and I know his teammates are excited as well.”

This announcement comes as the Hurricanes commenced their first day of the second session of approved summer activities.

In his 22 starts for the University of Houston Cougars, King totaled 78 touchdowns, 4,295 passing yards and 1,421 rushing yards. The quarterback was most recently named to the 2020 watch lists for both the Davey O’Brien Award, honoring the nation’s top quarterback, and the Maxwell Award, which is presented annually to the most outstanding player in college football.

Isabella Didio has been the sports editor at The Miami Hurricane since 2019. She can be reached at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Isabella Didio

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...