Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Tampa residents having mixed emotions about reopening businesses

Cristina Herrera
Tampa, Florida
3:30 p.m. Thursday, May 7

With beaches, restaurants, and many businesses opening after a month of lockdown, many people are rushing to get back to how life was before COVID-19, but many feel these openings are happening way too soon.

Officials cannot stress enough that the reopening of Tampa does not mean ending the practice of social distancing, but people are still worried residents will cease to maintain social distancing guidelines.

Pictures of a crowd outside Green Lemon, a Mexican restaurant in Tampa surfaced on the internet recently, and people were quick to comment about the scene. The mob of people was waiting outside the restaurant to eat and celebrate Cinco de Mayo (May 5). The owner of the restaurant closed his business early and encouraged people to return to their homes.

This is a perfect example of what many feared. Tampa’s number of cases is much lower than many expected, but the last thing anyone would want is the number to soar again because people decided to stop practicing social distancing.

Thankfully, every public place that I have recently been to has people wearing masks and practicing social distancing. As great as it is for businesses to reopen, I think people need to be even more cautious of their surroundings to minimize any possibilities of the virus spreading.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Brazil China

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 13, 2020

Leah Harper

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...