Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

Standards vary when paying for fast food during a pandemic

Sebastian Morales
Miami, Florida
5 p.m. Saturday, May 2

The stay-at-home recommendations in the state of Florida have been lifted as of the end of April, but even when they were in effect, they were not strictly enforced, and worse, guidelines in public places seem to be left to individual interpretation or preference.

Two fast-food drive-through restaurants on the same intersection have different sanitary protocols.

When I drove my family through the Taco Bell and Wendy’s on 137th Avenue and 152nd Street about two weeks ago, I was treated differently by the cashiers.

The Taco Bell employee extended the payment terminal toward me. When I grabbed with my left hand to adjust the angle and slide the credit card in, the cashier requested I refrain from doing so and solely insert the card. I wondered how, if needed, I would enter a pin code into the terminal without touching it.

The Wendy’s employee, on the other hand, asked me to hand him my credit card. The cashier wore gloves and a mask. My passengers advised I disinfect the card with hand sanitizer upon getting it back, and I did.

My father, who turns 70 this month, also told me about a different problem related to his face covering.

He said he has had difficulty breathing with the standard mask. Thus he has been using the plastic translucent mask that looks somewhat more like a shield and covers the whole face, with an opening at the bottom.

My father has visited body paint shops, his job and grocery stores while wearing the translucent mask. But the other day he said he was denied entry to the local Aldi unless he carried the standard “medical” mask. He said the guard told him it was “the law.”

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 13, 2020

Leah Harper

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...