Canes Covering Coronavirus, Connecticut

Once bustling commuter train parking lot remains empty

Katherine Begg
Trumbull, Connecticut
4:30 p.m. Friday, April 24

There are only 10 stops on an MTA Metro-North train between Fairfield, Connecticut, and New York City.

Only a short 1 hour and 35 minute ride from New York City, Fairfield is a major NYC commuting town. Residents are wait-listed for more than two years to purchase a parking permit for the station’s lot.

“At Fairfield we have permit holders who continue to use the station, though less than 5% of them park there per day now,” a Parking Authority of Fairfield representative said in a telephone interview.

Amid the coronavirus pandemic, despite trains continuing to operate, the coveted parking spaces remain almost completely empty.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Brazil China

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 13, 2020

Leah Harper

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...