Canes Covering Coronavirus, Illinois

Illinois creates anonymous mental health hotline

Isabella Popadiuk
Bartlett, Illinois
2 p.m. Thursday, April 30

Whether you are stuck in a house with your family or in an apartment by yourself or with a significant other, everyone has been cooped up during this pandemic.

It is easy to feel stir crazy and irritated with other people; you are not alone. It is extremely important to take care of your physical and mental health at home. I know for myself, it is hard trying to stay happy and motivated in Illinois’ constant depressing, cold and gray weather.

I need the sun.

While my family and I have been fortunate during the COVID-19 crisis, not as many families have been as lucky as we. As millions of Americans have lost their jobs, are having trouble paying bills or stuck in a toxic environment with an abuser, it is important for them to have support and the resources on how to access different services.

To help ease people’s tension and stress of being stuck at home, the Illinois Department of Human Services’ Mental Health Division has created the Call4Calm emotional support hotline. Call4Calm is an anonymous text line where Illinois residents can send a text to the hotline and within 24 hours, receive a call back from a locally employed mental health professional for support.

It is as easy as texting “TALK” to 5-5-2-0-2-0, or for Spanish, “HABLAR” to the same number. After, type a few keywords to receive specific information, such as “unemployment.”

“My administration is here to serve you and help see you through this time of crisis,” Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker said. “This text line is just one more way that we can meet you where you are.”

I hope residents try and use the new state provided resource to make sure they stay safe and mentally healthy during the stay-at-home order, which in Illinois has now been extended through the end of May.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 11, 2020

Leah Harper

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...