Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

The experience of getting tested for the coronavirus

Maria Jose Flores
Miami, Florida
12:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 4

The U.S. government is fighting to contain and slow the spread of the coronavirus. Testing is central to these efforts.

Concerned about my own and my mom´s health, we found out that asymptomatic people could get tested, so we decided to do it.

We headed to Charles Hadley Park in Miami, our closest testing location, and waited in the drive-through line for about half an hour.

At the first stop, they asked us for our information since an appointment is required at least one day in advance. Shortly after, at the second stop, we were asked to roll down the car windows individually to start the testing.

The test itself is quick, only a few seconds, but the sensation is highly uncomfortable — like someone is poking your brain. A swab is inserted deep in through the nostrils for a few seconds and then removed, my eyes teared up a little.

Shortly after, you’re good to go. They told us that we would be notified when the tests came back. Two days later, we got a call from the fire department, and thankfully, we tested negative. It was a relief, and I am glad to say that we are OK.

I’m glad that more tests became available and that modern medicine in America is accessible to everyone.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Brazil China Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 7, 2020

Leah Harper

An online seminar sponsored by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas

The first presidential debate between President Donald J. Trump and former vice president and democr

As the Miami Hurricanes take on Florida State, University of Miami students are invited to a Friday-

Linguist Caleb Everett reminds us that the mind has yet to grasp the modern world’s explosion of mas