Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

The experience of getting tested for the coronavirus

Maria Jose Flores
Miami, Florida
12:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 4

The U.S. government is fighting to contain and slow the spread of the coronavirus. Testing is central to these efforts.

Concerned about my own and my mom´s health, we found out that asymptomatic people could get tested, so we decided to do it.

We headed to Charles Hadley Park in Miami, our closest testing location, and waited in the drive-through line for about half an hour.

At the first stop, they asked us for our information since an appointment is required at least one day in advance. Shortly after, at the second stop, we were asked to roll down the car windows individually to start the testing.

The test itself is quick, only a few seconds, but the sensation is highly uncomfortable — like someone is poking your brain. A swab is inserted deep in through the nostrils for a few seconds and then removed, my eyes teared up a little.

Shortly after, you’re good to go. They told us that we would be notified when the tests came back. Two days later, we got a call from the fire department, and thankfully, we tested negative. It was a relief, and I am glad to say that we are OK.

I’m glad that more tests became available and that modern medicine in America is accessible to everyone.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Brazil China Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 7, 2020

Leah Harper

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...