Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida

Tampa’s transition to normal living

Treasure Wilson
Wesley Chapel, Florida
7 p.m. Wednesday, May 6

On May 4, the city of Tampa Bay lifted its stay-at-home orders. Gov. Ron DeSantis sent the “OK” for certain Florida cities to start letting people go out. Tampa Bay is one of them.

Residents will be allowed to go to certain malls and restaurants at a limited capacity. The Shops at Wiregrass in Wesley Chapel, Florida, is one of the city’s popular shopping malls that has reopened.

“The mall will either be fast business or nobody at all considering the corona virus scare is still very real,” says Jaizah Anderson, a Wesley Chapel resident

Schools, gyms and hair salons will still be closed. However, Broward Palm Beach and Dade counties will have to remain on lockdown because there are still so many cases.

Lifting stay-at-home orders isn’t too shocking, since many states including Georgia, Texas and South Carolina have already started. This slow reopening method is a way to track the transition back to what could be normal living.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Brazil China Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

May 7, 2020

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...