Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida

Sarasota farm finds new way to sell crops

Nicole Bozkurt
Sarasota, Florida
2 p.m. Thursday, April 23

While the public ravages the supermarkets for the last of the produce available, Worden Farm has found a new way to sell its organic goods, and without the help of local grocery stores.

The pandemic has sparked a new creation for the farm: veggie boxes. Each $25 box is packed full of a variety of organic vegetables and delivered to homes throughout Sarasota County and St. Petersburg.

With a surplus of vegetables, the Farm has even begun donating its veggie boxes to local, struggling families who recently lost jobs due to the pandemic.

The boxes contain a variety of food including salad greens, cooking greens, root crops, fruiting vegetables and culinary herbs.

The farm also is attempting to broaden its customers’ horizons by giving them new vegetables and recipes on how to use them. A list of recipes can be found on its website, “Worden Farm to Table.”

Worden Farm is an 85-acre certified organic family farm in Southwest Florida that has been in business since 2003. The company, run by Eva and Chris Worden, also offers an apprentice program and agricultural consulting services to help aspiring farmers succeed in organic crop production and marketing.

The couple continues to prove that something can always be made of difficult times, even in a pandemic.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...