Brazil, Canes Covering Coronavirus

In noisy Sao Paulo, mostly there is silence

Beatriz De Oliveira
São Paulo, Brazil
5 p.m. Tuesday, April 6, 2020

Since COVID began to spread in Sao Paulo, Rua Itapaiuna, where owners cherished a walk with their pets and kids restlessly rode their bikes, suddenly feels nostalgic.

Before the Coronavirus pandemic, a day wasn’t a day if by 7 a.m. — no later – there were no cars and motorbikes speeding by, trucks honking and dogs barking at them.

In between sketchy information and 24/7 television news programming, things started changing drastically last month. Now, April seems like a whole different reality, as all you can hear are birds chirping and canines probably barking at them. You also can hear music coming from nearby houses and a newborn baby’s cry.

Street in Sao Paulo’s south zone on April 1st, 2020.

There rarely are any motor vehicles; and when there is, it is most probably food delivery. There are a few people sometimes taking a walk or running.

But mostly there is silence.

Being from a city that gives meaning to the saying “concrete jungle,” it is strange not being surrounded by the ambient noise of people living their lives.

There is only the noise of the jungle.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Brazil China Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...