Brazil, Canes Covering Coronavirus

Brazilians mimic U.S. protestors in seeking to open up businesses

Beatriz De Oliveira
São Paulo, Brazil
8:30 p.m. April 22

With nearly 16,000 confirmed cases and more than 1,000 deaths, São Paulo is the coronavirus epicenter of Brazil, according to the online newsletter, The Brazilian Report.

São Paulo, the most populous and wealthiest state in Brazil, has been under quarantine since March 21. But restrictions may gradually loosen beginning May 21. As in some cities in the United States, Brazil has seen protests in some of its largest cities by residents wanting the government to let businesses reopen.

As of April 22, 45,757 cases have been confirmed in the country, causing 2,906 deaths. And according to the Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Center, Brazil currently has the most number of reported coronavirus cases in South America.

Click below to read more blogs from our correspondents:”

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Brazil China Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...