Football, Sports

Minnesota Vikings take K.J. Osborn in fifth round of 2020 NFL Draft

K.J. Osborn catches a pass during Miami's loss to Georgia Tech on Oct. 19, 2019.

K.J. Osborn catches a pass during Miami's loss to Georgia Tech on Oct. 19, 2019. Photo credit: Jared Lennon

With the 176th overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings drafted former Miami wide receiver K.J. Osborn.

A redshirt senior transfer from Buffalo, Osborn is the third Hurricane to be selected in the draft. The 6’0, 260 lbs receiver started all 13 games in the 2019 season for the Hurricanes and finished with five touchdowns, 50 receptions and 547 receiving yards in addition to 201 kick return yards and 255 punt return yards for total of 1018 all-purpose yards.

He finished his career at Buffalo with 96 catches for 1,490 yards and 12 touchdowns and averaged 10.3 yards on 25 punt returns.

Osborn made an immediate impact on the team upon his arrival in Miami and was known for his leadership qualities and tireless work ethic.

“He works,” Miami head coach Manny Diaz said in October of 2019. “That is why be brought him to Miami. He is the hardest worker we have in the wide receiver room.”

A native of Ypsilanti, Michigan, Osborn will return to the cold weather once again. Before Buffalo, Osborn played his senior year of high school at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida.

Isabella Didio

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...