Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

Coronarivus-savvy Chinese students take early precautions in Miami

Xuejing Li
Coral Gables, Florida
11:15 a.m. Friday, March 27

Before the Coronavirus began to spread in South Florida, Chinese students began to hoard a large number of masks and portable hand sanitizers. They understand the importance of wearing masks and keeping their hands germ free.

From what their families and friends encountered earlier in China, Chinese students here also understand how important it is not to leave home. It is the best way to be protected.

Many people in the United States are unaware of the seriousness of the problem. Although some people are becoming nervous and are buying large quantities of toilet paper, water and food, others are partying on the beach even as the number of cases increases.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...