Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

Classes continue online for students of Intensive English Program

Xuejing Li
Coral Gables, Florida
8:55 p.m. Saturday, April 4

Because their English level does not yet meet university standards, some international students, including those from China, South America and the Middle East, study the language in the University of Miami’s Intensive English Program.

And, like the rest of the classes at UM, the IEP courses continued to be offered online after the campus closed in March.

Yifan Jiang from Shanghai said he is nearly finished with his IEP training and can successfully enter the UM undergraduate course next year.

Jiang, who lives off campus in an apartment in the Dadeland area, said his IEP classes were offered on Zoom after spring break from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Daifei Peng, also from Shanghai, said she and her boyfriend are both currently attending IEP classes, which are ending this month.

Meanwhile Peng said she is enjoying cooking a lot in her Dadeland apartment until they return to China in July.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...