Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

Vibrant Calle Ocho quiet during COVID-19

Maraya Rivera
Little Havana, Miami, Florida
7:05 p.m. Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Brimming with coffee shops, Latin American art galleries and many busy restaurants, Calle Ocho (Eighth Street) traverses one of Miami’s most vibrant Cuban communities.

This one-way street usually has tons of tourist and locals frequenting the famous ice cream shop, Azucar, or one of the most famous Cuban restaurants in Miami, Versailles.

As with many other popular South Florida neighborhoods, the area has lost its appeal because of COVID-19. You might see one or two people walking around in surgical masks with their dogs or maybe a homeless person. But other than that, the streets are completely empty.

In Miami we are currently under a nightly curfew from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. One thing I am missing is the nightlife this street has to offer. Ball and Chain, Los Altos and Bar Nancy are some of my personal favorites.

Hopefully, soon enough I will be able to go down the street and play dominos at Máximo Gómez Park or enjoy tacos at El Santo Taqueria.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School lecture series continue this spring

As the coronavirus swept into South Florida, students in the inaugural Your Health, Your Immune Syst

Levels of bacteria dropped only days after the COVID-19 pandemic forced the closure of recreational

The University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas hosted an online seminar Wednes

Ariel Rose, a Frost School of Music graduate, talks about her experience at the University of Miami