Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Hundreds of Florida residents storm the beaches

Cristina Herrera
Wesley Chapel, Florida
8:15 p.m. Sunday, April 19

Beach-goers in the northern part of Florida took advantage of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ recent decision to begin opening some beaches, starting in Duval County. The announcement came on Friday that some northern Florida beaches would reopen with restrictions. Florida beaches have been closed for about a month due to the COVID-19, and I believe it is necessary for people to get out of their homes for fresh air and to take their minds off of the current crisis.

But opening the beaches may not be the best idea.

I fear people will not practice social distancing as strongly as they should if beaches become crowded. I think it is best for each county to make its own decisions about whether beaches will open depending on the number of people infected in each county.

Pinellas County commissioners, for example, unanimously voted against the reopening of their beaches, including the popular Clearwater Beach. Commissioners decided to extend the local state of emergency another seven days from April 17-24.

If staying inside is the fastest way for the curve to flatten, then I see it being best to continue encouraging people to stay in their homes.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...