Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Hundreds of Florida residents storm the beaches

Cristina Herrera
Wesley Chapel, Florida
8:15 p.m. Sunday, April 19

Beach-goers in the northern part of Florida took advantage of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ recent decision to begin opening some beaches, starting in Duval County. The announcement came on Friday that some northern Florida beaches would reopen with restrictions. Florida beaches have been closed for about a month due to the COVID-19, and I believe it is necessary for people to get out of their homes for fresh air and to take their minds off of the current crisis.

But opening the beaches may not be the best idea.

I fear people will not practice social distancing as strongly as they should if beaches become crowded. I think it is best for each county to make its own decisions about whether beaches will open depending on the number of people infected in each county.

Pinellas County commissioners, for example, unanimously voted against the reopening of their beaches, including the popular Clearwater Beach. Commissioners decided to extend the local state of emergency another seven days from April 17-24.

If staying inside is the fastest way for the curve to flatten, then I see it being best to continue encouraging people to stay in their homes.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

Frost School of Music’s faculty and staff members and students utilize their talents to help unify t

Rudy Fernandez, senior vice president for public affairs and communications at the University of Mia

Hope is an elusive concept, but it is a crucial feeling to hold on to at a time of crisis. During th

Members of the Muslim Students of the University of Miami celebrate the holy month while adhering to

A University of Miami faculty member offers tips on how to preserve healthy work-life practices as w