Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Hundreds of Florida residents storm the beaches

Cristina Herrera
Wesley Chapel, Florida
8:15 p.m. Sunday, April 19

Beach-goers in the northern part of Florida took advantage of Gov. Ron DeSantis’ recent decision to begin opening some beaches, starting in Duval County. The announcement came on Friday that some northern Florida beaches would reopen with restrictions. Florida beaches have been closed for about a month due to the COVID-19, and I believe it is necessary for people to get out of their homes for fresh air and to take their minds off of the current crisis.

But opening the beaches may not be the best idea.

I fear people will not practice social distancing as strongly as they should if beaches become crowded. I think it is best for each county to make its own decisions about whether beaches will open depending on the number of people infected in each county.

Pinellas County commissioners, for example, unanimously voted against the reopening of their beaches, including the popular Clearwater Beach. Commissioners decided to extend the local state of emergency another seven days from April 17-24.

If staying inside is the fastest way for the curve to flatten, then I see it being best to continue encouraging people to stay in their homes.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...