Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miramar

Miramar requires essential workers, customers to mask up

Massiel Leyva
Miramar, Florida
4 p.m. Wednesday, April 8

City Manager Vernon E. Hargray issued an emergency order requiring Miramar residents to wear masks to protect them against the coronavirus when performing essential activities outside of their homes. This order went into effect at 12:01 a.m. on Wednesday, April 8.

This measure requires all employees, delivery workers and customers at grocery stores, restaurants, pharmacies and essential businesses, to cover their mouths and noses to avoid the spread of the coronavirus among residents in the community.

The emergency order clarifies that the mask could be any form of homemade cloth covering such as a scarf or handkerchief.

The residents are advised to limit or avoid buying N95 model, also known as surgical masks, because these are limited and needed by the health-care personnel who are in greater exposure at hospitals.

Miramar is now the second South Florida city, after Miami Beach on April 7, to adopt this measure.

Practicing safety measures against the coronavirus, I am wearing a mask and gloves when going to work. I work part time at U.S. South Engineering. Engineering companies are still open since they are considered essential businesses.
Photo credit: Massiel Leyva

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...