Canes Covering Coronavirus, Connecticut

Route 108 – ‘The change has been insane’

Katherine Begg
Trumbull, Connecticut
5:05 p.m. Wednesday, April 1

Route 108, a state highway in Trumbull, Connecticut, is empty during rush hour due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Route 108, locally known as Huntington Turnpike and Nichols Avenue, is usually bustling with traffic. From school buses picking up students from St. Joseph High School to commuters returning from work, this two-lane state highway is seemingly never empty.

Since the coronavirus has started to severely impact Connecticut, Route 108 has not been the same.

“I have been running on Route 108 for the last year and I almost never see other people because it’s usually so scary with all the cars,” said Delaney Walsh, a Trumbull resident. “In the last few weeks the change has been insane. Now all I see are people walking and running and I hardly ever see cars.”

In place of the usual vehicle traffic, Route 108 is crowded with walkers and runners. Families walk along the shoulder of the highway, while runners even venture into the middle of the road to pass the walkers. Their only fear: staying six feet apart from each other.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...