Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miramar

Miramar offers drive-through food distribution site for needy residents

Massiel Leyva
Miramar, Florida
7 a.m. Thursday, April 16

Miramar residents in need of food will be able to receive groceries at a new drive-through food distribution site planned by the city and Feeding South Florida, a food bank serving Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties.

The event will take place 9 -11 a.m. Thursday, April 16, at the Miramar Regional Park located on Miramar Parkway.

Flyer posted on Mayor Wayne Messam’s Twitter account
Photo credit: Twitter, @Wayne.Messam on April 14 at 10:16 p.m

Miramar Mayor Wayne Messam said workers and residents at the drive-through service will need to comply with the COVID-19 health measures and social distancing rules to make sure that the process is safe for the community.

Residents who attend this event will receive the food on a first-come, first-served basis.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...