Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Seven Oaks families dealing with COVID-19

Cristina Herrera
Wesley Chapel, Florida
8 p.m. Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Seven Oaks Families Dealing With COVID-19

Seven Oaks is a vibrant community within Wesley Chapel, near Tampa, Florida. With a population of more than 3,000, Seven Oaks was once a vibrant hub. Not a day went by when you did not see parents walking dogs, kids playing tag, and teenagers playing basketball. At night you could hear the happy yells of kids splashing in their pools.

Coronavirus has changed many things, but it has not changed the bond of my community on Watermark Drive.

Families communicate on the community Facebook page, constantly making sure each person is well and has their basic needs. Families volunteer picking up groceries for our elderly neighbors who are fearful of leaving their homes.

Families are discovering new pastimes. Children are now going on bike rides with their families, something that I have not seen in a while. Families tend to take a daily walk when the sun begins to set just to get some fresh air and get their minds off these tough times.

Our community has a bike trail that people ride and jog through. Any other time of the year the trail is empty but nowadays people ride bikes and exercise on the trail, all while practicing social distancing.

I personally have not seen my neighbors in about a week, which feels so strange. I am used to seeing them multiple times a day.

Although many people remain inside, every once in a while families sit in their driveways and talk across the street to their neighbors who are sitting in their own driveway. We never would have imagined how this would be how we would spend our days, but we are getting through it together.

Things have definitely changed but people are searching for new hobbies and finding fun ways to spend their days.

Click on another area to read more of our correspondent’s blogs:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...