Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida

This doesn’t look like Friday in Pembroke Pines

Ciana Quintero
Pembroke Pines, Florida
Pines Boulevard
7 p.m. Friday, April 3, 2020

Pines Boulevard is the main thoroughfare of Pembroke Pines. Anywhere you need to go locally, you most likely have to travel on it. Traffic on the main road is almost never slow, flowing with kids coming out of school, parents trying to get home from long days at the office or even friends meeting up for a late dinner.

Today I find the streets barren with only a few cars making stops at the few essential businesses that remain open. I decided to make a stop at a plaza off the main road, a key hangout spot for teens on Friday nights. The property is always abuzz with high schoolers catching movies with friends at the Regal or parents taking their little ones to the gelato place next door.

The lot is now empty and so is the movie theater in the plaza. The marquee that typically lists the movies now playing instead spells out “Temporarily closed.” The scent of buttery popcorn is missing.

I effortlessly found parking without having to first circle the lot three times. Seeing it like this, you would have never guessed it was a Friday.

I made it to my neighborhood community without any red stoplights and pulled off the main road only to see people filling the sidewalks. Usually I don’t ever have to stop when making that turn into my development, but today I braked for a family to cross the street.

In my two years of living here, I have never seen so many people outside: a man is walking his  dog across the street; two brothers in an intense basketball match in their driveway; a woman jogging past them absorbed in her music. A few more individuals are not too far ahead on the same path.

Pines Boulevard was a dull ghost town but my own neighborhood was filled with life as neighbors took advantage of the beautiful weather.

It was inspiring to see how everyone adjusted to this unique situation. I almost never have free time with a hectic school and work schedule, but today I think I’m going to follow in everyone’s footsteps and take a walk around the community.

To read more blogs from our correspondents, click an area on the map below:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona Illinois Illinois Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...