Canes Covering Coronavirus, New York

The emptiness is eerie

Sigal Sharoni
Dix Hills, New York
3 p.m. Friday, April 3

The emptiness is eerie

It’s finally April, and springtime on Long Island usually calls for blooming trees and warmer breezes, but COVID-19 has stripped my commnunity of being able to fully savor this luxury.

The focus on the weather seems irrelevant: Gov. Andrew Cuomo has warned New York residents that the apex of the virus could be just a few days away as the number of positive cases soared above 120,000 today.

New York’s stay-at-home order remains in effect and has almost completely cleared the roads in my town. Aside from the government order, there’s obviously no school, no after-school sports or any other activities, which make the roads near my house ghostly.

My high school, Half Hollow Hills East, is located on Vanderbilt Parkway just five minutes away from my house. Two days ago I went for a run in my neighborhood and crossed Vanderbilt Parkway without a second thought– a street I used to worry about turning left onto.

Vanderbilt Parkway appears still as ever at 3 p.m. on Friday, April 3.

In total I saw two, maybe three, cars throughout the entirety of my 45-minute run. On a Friday afternoon.

For such a busy part of town, the emptiness is eerie. I don’t know how long this is going to last, but I know that the state of New York is not doing well. I just want it to go back to normal around here.

Click on one of the city names to read our correspondent’s blog post from that area:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...