Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

No one is hanging out at the corner grocery store

Francheska Castillo
South Miami
Wednesday, April 8, 2020

This is a corner store located on the street that I live on, Southwest 68th Street in South Miami. Usually when I drive by on my way to work or school, no matter the time, I see people hanging out in front of the South Miami Market.

Now, with the coronavirus and how serious things keep getting each day, I rarely see people in front of that corner store. It’s moments like that when it really hits you that what is going on in our country is historical.

I work just a few minutes away from my house at a fast food restaurant, so the overnight shift on weekends we get very packed. Now, we’re lucky if five cars come by within an hour. Employee hours have gotten cut because sales are really low. We no longer greet our co-workers with a hug or kiss; and it’s in those moments that you realize how much life has changed in the past few months due to this virus and how much we used to take for granted.

Click on one of the city names to read our correspondent’s blog post from that area:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA PennsylvaniaALL FloridaALL CaliforniaALL Arizona

Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...