Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

Florida now on stay-at-home order

Francheska Castillo
South Miami, Florida
6 p.m. Wednesday, April 1

Florida now on stay-at-home order

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has imposed a 30-day stay-at-home order in the Sunshine State today, which means that all residents should stay indoors unless they are pursuing “essential services or activities.”

The announcement puts the entire state under the same set of regulations. South Miami had taken earlier precautions, requiring all city parks, pool facilities and indoor facilities closed to the public.

When I heard this news it reminded me of how serious all of this is.

I don’t like to be a negative person, but sometimes I feel like the situation isn’t getting better.

I definitely miss all the things I used to take for granted, such as going to class on campus and seeing my friends. I hope people take this seriously and shelter in place and practice social distancing. The more we follow the rules, I’m hopeful that the quicker this will all end.

Click on another area to read more of our correspondent’s blogs:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...