Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Tampa Bay ends Gen Z ‘corona-cation’

Treasure Wilson
Wesley Chapel, Florida
3 p.m. Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Tampa Bay ends Gen Z ‘corona-cation’

Gen Zers were hitting Florida beaches, especially in Clearwater Beach, during spring break.

Despite the growing number of people testing positive for COVID-19, Tampa Bay didn’t rush to implement stricter curfews, and city restrictions did not go into effect until March 23.

“A few days ago, the epidemic wasn’t as serious, so we decided to go to the beach,” said Destinee Donaldson, a Florida Atlantic University student.

“When the recent restrictions came up, it definitely took me by surprise. However, lots of young adults were there,” Donaldson added. “Some people were walking around with handwipes and sanitizer, while some didn’t take it seriously.”

The spread of the disease should be treated seriously.

When I vacationed in South Beach for spring break, many Gen Zers, including myself, weren’t aware of the severity.

However, it is time my generation listens to the new rules, so we can prevent the spread of it. We don’t need to make the situation worse than it already is.

Click on another area to read more of our correspondent’s blogs:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School lecture series continue this spring

As the coronavirus swept into South Florida, students in the inaugural Your Health, Your Immune Syst

Levels of bacteria dropped only days after the COVID-19 pandemic forced the closure of recreational

The University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas hosted an online seminar Wednes

Ariel Rose, a Frost School of Music graduate, talks about her experience at the University of Miami