Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Wesley Chapel

Tampa Bay ends Gen Z ‘corona-cation’

Treasure Wilson
Wesley Chapel, Florida
3 p.m. Wednesday, March 25, 2020

Tampa Bay ends Gen Z ‘corona-cation’

Gen Zers were hitting Florida beaches, especially in Clearwater Beach, during spring break.

Despite the growing number of people testing positive for COVID-19, Tampa Bay didn’t rush to implement stricter curfews, and city restrictions did not go into effect until March 23.

“A few days ago, the epidemic wasn’t as serious, so we decided to go to the beach,” said Destinee Donaldson, a Florida Atlantic University student.

“When the recent restrictions came up, it definitely took me by surprise. However, lots of young adults were there,” Donaldson added. “Some people were walking around with handwipes and sanitizer, while some didn’t take it seriously.”

The spread of the disease should be treated seriously.

When I vacationed in South Beach for spring break, many Gen Zers, including myself, weren’t aware of the severity.

However, it is time my generation listens to the new rules, so we can prevent the spread of it. We don’t need to make the situation worse than it already is.

Click on another area to read more of our correspondent’s blogs:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...