Canes Covering Coronavirus, Massachusetts

Pandemic won’t stop my parents from finding ‘their happy-ever-after’ in Florida

Nicole Bozkurt
Groton, Massachusetts
2 p.m. Wednesday, March 25

While the world is undergoing a catastrophic pandemic, my parents, Dawn and Levent Bozkurt, are selling their Groton, Massachusetts, home and moving to Florida.

If only they had known what they had gotten themselves into when they put the house on the market last August.

They built the house 22 years ago, right after the birth of their first child and my older sister, Briana. Three years later, I was born, and a couple of years after that, my parents completed the family with a dog.

After Briana and I graduated from high school, my parents retired and began their journey of what they like to call their “happily ever after” on the Florida coast.

My parents, Dawn and Levent Bozkurt, are packing the U-Haul and moving to Florida.

“Have you ever washed your hands 50 times a day?” my father asked. “My hands feel like sandpaper.”

The couple hopes to leave soon, worried that Massachusetts may decide to issue a shelter-in-place policy. At the susceptible ages 58 and 65, my parents also fear air travel and agreed to rent a U-Haul and share the 24 hour drive to Sarasota, Florida.

“It is a very stressful time because there are obstacles every step of the way,” said my mother, who also has a broken arm.

Hotels across the East Coast are closed, forcing my parents to take the drive in one straight shot.

“I am a one-armed bandit,” my mother said. “I don’t even know if I’ll be able to drive a U-Haul.

If there are not any more obstacles, they hope to leave within the next couple of days.

“I will finally breathe once we get there,” my mother said. “I know it will all be worth it.”

Click on another area to read more of our correspondent’s blogs:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA

Ellington-CT

Trumbell-CT

Ply-PA

Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...