Canes Covering Coronavirus, Florida, Miami

How coronavirus is impacting my family

Anna Timmons
Managing Editor
Miami, FL

How coronavirus is impacting my family

Two months ago, I was sitting in my politics of China class discussing the novel coronavirus with my professor, an expert on all things China, worried for our world and the future to come. Cases were rising quickly there and huge metropolises were shutting down, but from across the world in Miami, I felt safe. Looking back, I never could have imagined we’d be in the place that we’re at now.

My name is Anna and I will be covering the coronavirus over the next few weeks from Miami. I was born and raised right here in sunny South Florida, just 20 minutes southwest from the University of Miami campus. Like many of you, I am navigating life in this new world, adapting to Facetime hangouts and class from bed.

Through this blog, I will be sharing my experience, as well as that of those around me in the face of the coronavirus.

While everyone has surely been affected by the coronavirus, it seems my family has been especially impacted. My mom is an elementary school teacher, and she is adapting to online instruction with her class of 27 second graders, while my sister and brother, both healthcare workers, are on the frontlines in the hospital.

Me, I will be riding out this pandemic from the comfort of my home, social distancing as best as I know how, while occasionally indulging in delivery food to support the local businesses and restaurants I grew up with.

Like most of us, I am hoping this time of quarantine and isolation will end soon. Today especially so, as I celebrate my 20th birthday far from my friends and loved ones.

Until that time comes, I will be making the most of the weeks (or likely months) I have at home and documenting my new life under quarantine.

Click on another area to read more of our correspondent’s blogs:

CoronaBlogMap NewYork-NY Boston-MA Ellington-CT Trumbell-CT Ply-PA Philly-PA OceanCity-NJ Malvern-PA AmeliaIsland-FL Vero-FL Plantation-FL Miami-FL Hollywood-FL Manamar-FL Tampa-FL PembrookePines-FL WesleyChapel-FL OrangeCounty-CA MonteS-CA

Leah Harper

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...