Canes Covering Coronavirus, New York

Cuomo makes passionate plea to keep New Yorkers safe

Sigal Sharoni
New York City
Tuesday, March 24, 11:30 a.m.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Tuesday morning that the rate of infection for COVID-19 in the state continues to increase.

“I will turn this state upside down to get the hospital beds we need,” said Cuomo, who is serving his third term as governor. He said he believes the apex of the outbreak is still 14-21 days away, so it’s important to act efficiently and quickly.

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo

Cuomo begged for help from the federal government to send ventilators to New York, where the confirmed number of cases totaled 25,665 as of 11 a.m. on Tuesday.

“We’re gonna make it,” said Cuomo. “Because I love New York… Love wins, always, and it will win again through this virus.”

This news conference took place two days after Cuomo’s “New York State on PAUSE” plan went into effect. As of March 22, New Yorkers are required to stay inside and close down any non-essential businesses, among other precautions to prevent the spread of the virus.

Cuomo has gained popularity among New York residents, many of them women who have new-found respect for their governor.

“He’s being very honest and very truthful,” said Long Island resident Tamara Francis. “You can really sense the passion in his tone. I’m impressed.”

Leah Harper

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...