Community, Cover, Health, News

First reported UM student tests positive for coronavirus

The first reported student at the University of Miami has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to an email sent out on Saturday, March 21 by University Communications.

The student is at their residence off-campus, self-isolated and is doing well, according to message. For the sake of maintaining patient privacy, no other details have been released.

In order to prevent further spread of the coronavirus, health officials are providing guidance to those who came into close contact with the student.

“Our best wishes have been extended to the student for a rapid recovery,” the message stated.

The university encouraged all students to continue to practice social distancing and follow the guidelines set by health officials. For more coronavirus information, students can check coronavirus.miami.edu.

Anna Timmons

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...