Community, Cover, Health, News

First reported UM student tests positive for coronavirus

The first reported student at the University of Miami has tested positive for the coronavirus, according to an email sent out on Saturday, March 21 by University Communications.

The student is at their residence off-campus, self-isolated and is doing well, according to message. For the sake of maintaining patient privacy, no other details have been released.

In order to prevent further spread of the coronavirus, health officials are providing guidance to those who came into close contact with the student.

“Our best wishes have been extended to the student for a rapid recovery,” the message stated.

The university encouraged all students to continue to practice social distancing and follow the guidelines set by health officials. For more coronavirus information, students can check coronavirus.miami.edu.

Anna Timmons

Karin Wilkins, dean of the University of Miami School of Communication, examines the challenges faci ...

The new testing effort, announced Friday by Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez, will use a finger prick to chec ...

A University of Miami scientist is awarded a Pew grant to study coral reef restoration in the Caribb ...

How the choices made by Austrian psychiatrist Viktor Frankl during the Holocaust changed the course ...

A medical specialist with the University of Miami Health System and the Miller School of Medicine ha ...