Blogs, Coronavirus

Entry three: A guide to an unexpected self-quarantine

Day 12 of quarantine:

As most of you know, Miami has officially closed the beaches, restaurants, bars, concerts, and movie theaters. Today I noticed a steep decline in morale amongst my friends. After texting, Snapchatting, and Facetiming friends, everyone seemed the same: bored out of their minds and depressed. It’s understandable to feel this way when it seems like armaggeddon outside. Today, if the coronavirus never happened, I would have just returned from Lisbon and spent St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin with my URome friends. My mom’s attempts to make us an Irish meal just made me sadder as I envisioned myself drinking a tall beer in a crowded bar with my friends somewhere in the streets of Dublin.

I have faith in Gen Z because if there is anything we can do, it is handle global scale problems. We just say “it be like that sometimes,” laugh, and keep moving forward because that’s who we are as a generation. Everyone will struggle through these challenging times. It is what it is. It’s so important to remember that this will not last forever; quarantine will be over one day. Keep doing what you love to do. Binge Netflix, go for a run, cook a healthy meal, paint, Facetime, play all the video games you want and focus on your mental health. Keep calm and don’t buy all the toilet paper you can find.

To keep up with the rest of this blog, read the following posts:

Featured graphic by Julia Sanbe.

Grace Harrington

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...