Four UM student athletes receive postgraduate ACC scholarship

vsFAU37.JPG

Senior Estela Perez-Somarriba hits a forehand during her singles match on Feb. 24 against FAU Photo credit: Josh Halper

On Friday, the UM athletic department announced that four University of Miami student athletes received the ACC’s 2020 Weaver-James-Corrigan Postgraduate Scholarship Award.

Among the Hurricanes selected are Claire McGinnis of women’s swim and dive, Estela Perez-Sommariba of women’s tennis, Dane Dunlap of men’s tennis and DJ Vasiljevic of men’s basketball. In all, 50 student athletes from the ACC were selected for the award.

The Weaver-James-Corrigan award is named after the first three ACC commissioners Jim Weaver, Bob James and Gene Corrigan. Each recipient receives $6,000 towards his or her graduate education. The award is given to those who “have performed with distinction in both the classroom and their respective sport, while demonstrating exemplary conduct in the community,” according to theacc.com

McGinnis is a distance swimmer for the Hurricanes and led Miami’s points in distance events last year.

Perez-Sommariba is the reigning NCAA singles champion and currently ranked No. 1 for women’s singles in the NCAA.

Dane Dunlap won his last three singles matches against South Alabama, Florida Atlantic University and Florida Gulf Coast University.

Dane.jpg

Dane Dunlap hits a backhand during his match on Jan. 12. Photo credit: Josh Halper

DJ Vasiljevic is a major contributor to the Hurricanes men’s basketball team, averaging 13.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game. This season, the Australia native is donating five dollars for every three pointer he makes during ACC play to contribute to the wildfire relief efforts in Australia.

Last year three Hurricanes were awarded the scholarship, including Roxanne Yu of women’s swim and dive, Jamie Brunworth of women’s soccer and Jaquan Johnson of football.

Anthony Kean

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...