Community, Cover, Culture

Nicole Byer to headline HP’s annual comedy show

Nicole-Byer.jpg

Comedian Nicole Byer will perform her stand-up routine at the Rat Feb. 20.

Netflix comedy host Nicole Byer will make her first-ever appearance at the University of Miami in Hurricane Productions’ annual comedy show Feb. 20.

Byer, 33, of the hit Netflix reality bake-off show, “Nailed it!” and the MTV comedy show, “Girl Code,” will headline the free one-hour show that also includes comedians Maz Jobrani, Chris D’Elia and Marlon Wayans.

HP has been promoting the event on social media and around campus with digital signage, palm cards, and front-row seat giveaways. With the buzz of excitement radiating on social media, the group projects between 200 and 250 students will attend, said Nkosi Robinson, sophomore marketing chair of the HP Daytime and Special Events Committee.

Nicole Byer Poster-01.jpg

“I think she’s hilarious,” Robinson said. “I wasn’t a fan of hers before because I hadn’t watched anything she was part of, but having watched her clips recently, I’m very happy that she is going to be here.”

Byer’s comedy style is fitting for a college audience, said Kayla Condon, 21, chair for HP Daytime and Special Events. “I think she has a very strong comedic personality that the student body will enjoy. She is bubbly, mouthy, goofy, vulgar, at times sexual and very real in the broad type of comedy she performs, Condon said.

The comedy show will take place at 10 p.m. at the Rathskeller; doors open at 9 p.m. to all students or anyone with a valid Cane card.

Ciana Quintero

Karin Wilkins, dean of the University of Miami School of Communication, examines the challenges faci ...

The new testing effort, announced Friday by Mayor Carlos A. Gimenez, will use a finger prick to chec ...

A University of Miami scientist is awarded a Pew grant to study coral reef restoration in the Caribb ...

How the choices made by Austrian psychiatrist Viktor Frankl during the Holocaust changed the course ...

A medical specialist with the University of Miami Health System and the Miller School of Medicine ha ...