Hurricanes basketball earns wins over weekend

Freshman Guard Isaiah Wong attacks the basket during the Hurricanes' game versus Wake Forest on Saturday, Feb. 15. Photo credit: Josh Halper

Men’s basketball

Wake 2.jpg

For the first time since Jan. 4, the men’s basketball team had a full, healthy roster, and it showed, as the Hurricanes rolled past Wake Forest 71-54 at the Watsco Center Saturday afternoon.

The win marks the second straight victory for Miami after defeating Boston College by almost thirty points last Wednesday.

“That allows the player himself to play really hard and when you play really hard, you play really well,” Miami head coach Jim Larrañaga said on having a full roster. “When everybody is sharing that responsibility, it makes a huge difference. Hopefully we can stay healthy now.”

With nine guys in the rotation, no Miami player played more than 30 minutes. Having rested legs gave Miami the opportunity to dominate the defensive end of the floor.

“When we have these nine guys, its huge,” junior Sam Waardenburg said. “We are able to play good defense with the rotation.”

“Big kudos to us for playing well on the defensive end,” center Rodney Miller said. “That team can really score the basketball, so we did well on the defensive end.”

Miami (13-12, 5-10) was able to take the Deacons (11-14, 4-11) out of the game early on. Behind a 14-2 scoring run over a four minute period in the closing minutes of the first half, the Canes took a 37-25 lead into halftime.

Wake Forest committed 14 total turnovers, while Miami collected six steals and was able to score 16 points off those turnovers.

Freshman guard Isaiah Wong and junior guard Chris Lykes both led Miami with 13 points and three assists each. Lykes, who has been dealing with a groin injury, made just his second start since Jan. 21 at Duke.

Wong, meanwhile, became the first freshman since 2001 to have back-to-back 20-point games after Miami’s win over Boston College. Wong scored a career high 23 points against Florida State, had 21 points against Boston College and was named the ACC Freshman of the Week.

“Isaiah early in the year had so much to learn and now his defense is as good as any veteran,” Larrañaga said. “Early in the year he had too many thoughts running through his head and when you are thinking too much, your feet slow down.”

Miami also had a healthy Keith Stone, Sam Waardenburg and Kameron McGusty. Stone missed four games in early January with an injury and Waardenburg was held out of the Boston College game with a neck injury. McGusty was dealing with back spasms at the same time that Lykes was injured.

Miami will next travel to Virginia Tech on Feb. 19. and the team hopes that they can take the winning momentum into their next few games.

“I feel like we just take the momentum we have right now into Virginia Tech and go game by game,” Miller said. “There is still a lot of basketball to play. Win or lose, we just gotta get better and I think we will be just fine.”

Women’s basketball

Gray1.jpg
Junior guard Mykea Gray drives to the basket during Miami's win over Clemson on Jan. 23. Photo credit: Josh Halper

The women’s team completed a season sweep of Clemson Sunday afternoon after defeating the Tigers 63-48 in South Carolina.

Mykea Gray led Miami with 17 points, followed closely behind by Kelsey Marshall, who contributed 13 points. Miami used a 26-point second quarter to give themselves a 38-27 halftime lead.

Miami (13-12, 5-9) held Clemson (7-19, 3-12) to just five points in the fourth quarter. In addition to Gray and Marshall, Taylor Mason scored 12 points and Endia Banks contributed 11.

The win was Miami’s first win in three games. The Hurricanes are still struggling with the loss of star forward Beatrice Mompremier, who injured her foot in early January and has yet to play since then. The senior is listed as day-to-day and there is no timetable for her return.

The Hurricanes have only four regular season games left and will host North Carolina State at the Watsco Center on Thursday, Feb. 20.