Cover, Football, Sports

San Francisco 49ers practicing at Miami football facilities before Super Bowl LIV

If you’ve driven down San Amaro Drive at any point this week, you’ve probably seen the mass of police officers lining the divider between the road.

Security on campus has been increased over the past week because the San Francisco 49ers, who will face the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl LIV on Sunday, are practicing at the UM football practice facilities in the week leading up to the big game.

The team landed at Miami International Airport on Sunday, Jan 25 and had their first day of practice on Monday, Jan. 26.

Metal barricades are set up all along San Amaro Drive between the baseball stadium and the intramural fields in addition to the dozens of police officers that line the street when the team is at the facilities.

The team buses, about three in total, pull up on the sidewalk in front of the Hecht Athletic Center, where the team departs the buses and then walks across to the Schwartz Center.

In preparation for the arrival of the 49ers, the entire Schwartz Center, locker room and Greentree practice field were decked out in the 49ers logo.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs are using the Miami Dolphins practice facilities at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale as their practicing location for the week.

Isabella Didio

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...