20 modern pop, Christmas bops you need on your holiday playlist

With Christmas just around the corner, it is time to turn up the speakers and bring in the holidays with the best seasonal jams. It’s the most wonderful time of the year, but having to reuse the same selection of old, overplayed songs from the 1900s isn’t the most wonderful thing. In order to decorate that Christmas playlist with extra spice, here’s some hidden holiday tracks from this decade that may have flown under your radar.

“Glittery” – Kacey Musgraves and Troye Sivan

Fresh off the high of winning 2019’s Grammy award for Album of the Year, Musgraves decided it was time to team up with an array of celebs for her own holiday special. A track that beautifully combines the soft twang of Musgraves with the sultry vocals of Sivan, this track is the perfect vibe for lying by the fire with that cup of hot cocoa.

“December” – Ariana Grande

Grande’s 2015 “Christmas & Chill” EP may not be fresh news to any superfan of the star, but this seasonal project twists together Christmas bells with the same hard-hitting trap beat found on her hit “break up with your girlfriend, i’m bored.” “December” in particular is a staple of the project. It’s a flirty track powerful enough to convince anyone to treat themselves to a holiday fling.

“It’s Not Christmas Without You” – Victoria Justice/Victorious Cast

“Victorious” definitely had some hot tracks that defined our childhood, so why not throw it back with another one of the show’s upbeat bops? This one is so merry it’s sure to bring back some of your favorite childhood holiday memories.

“Christmas in New Orleans” – John Legend

2019’s sexiest man alive brings the jazz flare of New Orleans into the holiday season with this groovy selection. This track will sound perfect in your kitchen as you whip up some of gingerbread cookies and a hot drink.

“White Winter Hymnal” – Birdy

The haunting vocals of Birdy sound blissful on this cover of a classic church hymnal. A slower Christmas ballad, she dances between notes on this song to form what sounds like a gorgeous holiday ballet.

“Merry Christmas, Baby” – Hunter Hayes

For those of you that appreciate a sexy country twang, Hayes provides what you need on this one. With an impressive electric guitar solo and the young country heartthrob crooning to his baby, this song will definitely make you want to find someone special to spend the holidays with.

“Cozy Little Christmas” – Katy Perry

A rather lighthearted track, Perry aims to make listeners smile on “Cozy Little Christmas.” Grab a flannel blanket and fuzzy socks and turn on your favorite holiday movie, because Perry didn’t lie when she said this song was cozy.

“This Christmas” – Mustard and Ella Mai

Whoever said Christmas can’t be sexy clearly didn’t know what they were talking about. In “This Christmas,” Mai’s demand to keep her lover by her side for the holiday is equally as powerful as it is enticing.

“Last Christmas” – Carly Rae Jepsen

There are million covers of this Christmas classic, including great arrangements by other artists on this playlist, but one of the clear standouts is Jepsen’s. With synth beats and saxophones, her spin on the Wham! original song is clearly worth more than just one listen.

“Santa Baby” – Ariana Grande and Elizabeth Gillies

The celebrity BFF duo and child stars gave fans their own take on this track all the way back in 2013 for Grande’s first Christmas EP of the decade. This collab lives up to high expectations for the young starlets who were just wrapping up their run on “Victoriousat the time.

“Christmas in Harlem” – Kanye West, CyHi The Prince and Teyana Taylor

Everyone knows Christmas in the city is gorgeous, and this trio captured the sensation of an NYC Christmas on this critically-acclaimed track. Between West’s icy flow and Taylor’s smooth hook, you can just feel the Manhattan snowfall on its way.

“Oh Santa!” – Mariah Carey

The queen of Christmas is back with another upbeat and warm holiday track for your party this winter break. Although Carey might never be able to recreate the career-defining “All I Want for Christmas is You,” this track is at least another fun, poppy song to enjoy with a glass of eggnog in hand.

“Christmas Lights” – Coldplay

Just in case you needed a slightly slower jam this year, Coldplay is here to provide. Like a soft pair of fuzzy socks, this instrumentals on this beautiful arrangement will make you feel warm inside.

“Happy Xmas (War Is Over)” – Miley Cyrus and Mark Ronson

Another song that’s been performed countless times, Cyrus proves why she has one of the best covers. On a track meant to empower and bring people together, her voice sounds tougher than ever as she belts out impressive high notes.

“Merry Xmas” – Fetty Wap and Monty

A merry and festive ode to trap life and his gang, this song is pretty much everything anyone could ask for in a holiday song. Fetty is here to show us that no matter how hard the rapper may seem, the Christmas spirit is infectious for anyone.

“At Christmas” – Kylie Minogue

Like Santa on his sleigh, Minogue is here to give us a delightful present in the form of pop perfection. Sticking to her diva style, she serves up everything you could want in this perky, holiday original.

“I’ll Be Home For Christmas” – Kacey Musgraves and Lana Del Rey

The Kacey Musgraves Christmas Show truly didn’t disappoint, and an appearance by Lana was much appreciated. With a stripped-down cover of the classic song, both stars encompass the warmth and happiness of the holiday season.

“Santa’s Coming For Us” – Sia

A bright selection from the 2017 album “Everyday is Christmas,” Sia excites listeners with a prideful track that can remind anyone of the thrill of waiting for Santa Claus as a child.

“Hey Sis, It’s Christmas” – RuPaul and Markaholic

Grab your sisters and get down to this bop right now, because it’s infectious. In an explosion of fierce and joyous dance-pop, RuPaul shows you how to death drop into the New Year.

“Christmas in Miami” – Ken Bandz

With hip-hop dominating the charts today, this list wouldn’t be complete without at least one more holiday trap jam, especially one about the great city of Miami. Who knew sleigh bells and a rap beat would fit together so well?

Click here to listen to these hidden holiday gems from this decade.

Featured image source: www.flickr.com, @NickAmoscato