Administration, Community, News

Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely wins ‘Woman of Distinction and Caring’ award

Plaza Health Network held its 10th annual luncheon to honor “South Florida Women of Distinction and Caring” on Friday, Nov. 15.

Plaza Health Network is a non-profit network of seven rehabilitation, nursing and long-term care centers in Miami-Dade County. It helps elderly patients with short term and long-term rehabilitation after an injury, surgery, or a serious illness.

The network honors six to eight women in South Florida a year. Dr. Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs at the University of Miami was honored for her contributions to UM and the South Florida community.

“It was a beautiful honor, I’m very humbled and honored and will continue to do the work at UM with the students and within the South Florida community,” said Whitely.

Whitely and former UM President Donna Shalala helped build, design, and program the Shalala Student Center.

“It was great, we started the process in 2003 and it finally opened in 2013,” said Whitely.

Whitley, who is in her 38th year at UM, has served as vice president for student affairs for the past 23 years.

This was Whitely’s first time attending the luncheon. Margaret Pericak-Vance, director of the John P. Hussman Institute for Human Genomics at UM and the Dr. John T. Macdonald Foundation Professor of Human Genetics, was also honored.

Brittany Burnette

University of Miami atmospheric scientist Elliot Atlas is part of a NASA-funded project studying how ...

Led by the Miller School of Medicine, the southeast region has enrolled more than 14,000 volunteers ...

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...