Campus Life, News

Janitorial workers continue fight for better working conditions

This past month, University of Miami janitorial workers have been speaking out against their employer ABM. On Friday, Nov. 1, they staged a protest outside of St. Bede Episcopal Chapel on the campus. In the Courtyard at St. Bede Chapel, on Thursday, Nov. 14 at 12 p.m. workers are opening up the dialogue to the rest of the UM community through an organized lunch meeting.

The workers plan to talk about their excessive workload and the upcoming contract negotiations. Under the motto, “Si se puede,” or, “Yes we can,” the workers have continued to fight for better working conditions. One of their demands includes hiring more workers to lessen the workload.

The local chapter of the Service Employees International Union, which represents the workers on campus, has been handing out flyers to members on campus and leaving them inside of buildings that experience heavy community traffic.

While the event is open to anyone, it is recommended that people RSVP to confirm attendance or reach out to one of the leaders of the movement, Oscar Pineda, at 646-423-7489 or PinedaO@sieu32bj.org.

Maya Miller

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...