Campus Life, News

Janitorial workers continue fight for better working conditions

This past month, University of Miami janitorial workers have been speaking out against their employer ABM. On Friday, Nov. 1, they staged a protest outside of St. Bede Episcopal Chapel on the campus. In the Courtyard at St. Bede Chapel, on Thursday, Nov. 14 at 12 p.m. workers are opening up the dialogue to the rest of the UM community through an organized lunch meeting.

The workers plan to talk about their excessive workload and the upcoming contract negotiations. Under the motto, “Si se puede,” or, “Yes we can,” the workers have continued to fight for better working conditions. One of their demands includes hiring more workers to lessen the workload.

The local chapter of the Service Employees International Union, which represents the workers on campus, has been handing out flyers to members on campus and leaving them inside of buildings that experience heavy community traffic.

While the event is open to anyone, it is recommended that people RSVP to confirm attendance or reach out to one of the leaders of the movement, Oscar Pineda, at 646-423-7489 or PinedaO@sieu32bj.org.

Maya Miller

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center’s 18,000-square-foot fitness room named in honor of Norm ...

University of Miami theatre arts students and faculty members come together for a whirlwind day to c ...

The #SuperCoralPlay campaign combines education and outreach with research and restoration efforts t ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Emily Becker is part of a dream team of scientists that will present it ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.