Campus Life, News

Commuter students host Halloween-themed ‘Way to Go Wednesday’

In the spirit of Halloween, The Office of Commuter Student Involvement is celebrating in more ways than one.

It hosted another “Way to Go Wednesday” last Wednesday, Oct. 30, at 3 p.m. At the suite in the Shalala Student Center, it handed out bags of candy and commuter stickers in honor of Halloween.

In the office, Halloween themed bags were lined up on the desk and the students had decorated the office to fit the theme of the upcoming holiday.

“We wanted to celebrate today with spirit,” said student assistant Gus Trovar.

The OCSI hosts these events in order to “celebrate small wins as [students] make it through the week.” Students decompress by talking about their days over different types of snacks like candy and pizza.

“It’s important to focus on the good things in the week, especially when everyone can have really stressful days,” said transfer assistant and junior Mallory Blum.

Some of the good things highlighted on Wednesday were “getting paid for the first time” and “doing well on an accounting test”.

Freshman Hugo Mijares-Vracho was one of the commuter students who attended the event. He’s never missed a “Way to Go Wednesday” since they started after returning from the Hurricane Dorian break

“It’s a fun little social break from the stresses of being a pre-med student,” said Mijares-Vracho.

Alessia Cusumano

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...