Campus Life, News, Student Organization

Cookies and Conversation: National Organization for Women to discuss pending gender-pay discrimination lawsuit

University of Miami’s National Organization for Women, also known as NOW, will host an event on Oct. 23 called “Cookies and Conversation” at 8 p.m.

The event will focus primarily on discussing the lawsuit UM is facing from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission for gender-based discrimination on the behalf of political science professor Louise Davidson-Schmich. At “Cookies and Conversation,” NOW will provide cookie decorations, welcome gender-based discrimination conversations and present a special guest speaker.

The special guest speaker is Nadia Porter, founder and director of Ground Secure, a non-profit organization that combats human trafficking of women and children. Porter will explain more about the organization and its collaboration with NOW to provide volunteering opportunities for members.

The event and the organization are open to all students who would like to join. It is focused on empowering women but does not discriminate students on the basis of sex.

“The nature of this organization is to uplift women in society and move the American society to a fully equal partnership of the sexes,” said President Nausheen Merchant, a microbiology and immunology student, “Growing up as a Muslim woman, I never felt restricted or inferior to my male peers. At NOW, I want to empower women to feel the same.”

If you cannot attend the Oct. 23 event, NOW is planning to host self-defense classes, an intro to coding class, a series of guest speakers, and a gala.

IF YOU GO

What: Cookies and Conversation, a cookie decorating event that will also welcome discussions about gender-based discrimination — focusing on the lawsuit UM is facing from the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Who: National Organization for Women and Nadia Porter, founder and director of Ground Secure.

Where: Dooly Memorial 107

When: Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 8 p.m.

Daniela Perez

The director of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is named the first holder of the Oscar de ...

With the new movie about Fred Rogers opening in theaters today, University of Miami faculty reflect ...

University of Miami students share how they blend together new and old traditions this upcoming holi ...

Jenna Efrein, a senior lecturer in glass in the Art and Art History Department, wants your help coll ...

More and more people are dabbling in side jobs to bring in some extra cash, a growing trend helped a ...

Behind 55 points from its starting backcourt trio, the Miami men's basketball team posted a 74- ...

The Miami women's basketball team is headed to the Windy City to participate in the Maggie Dixo ...

The Miami swimming & diving team hits the road for a pair of midseason meets this weekend, with ...

Miami's young offensive line took its share of lumps early. But the group's focus and reso ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...