Campus Life, News

Hurricane Productions partners with United Black Students to celebrate black heritage

hp productions.png

The KAOS dance team performs at the lakeside patio on Tuesday, Oct. 15. Photo credit: Jayda Graham

Hurricane Productions hosted its annual “Moonlight Jams” on Tuesday, Oct. 15 at the Lakeside Patio. HP teamed up with United Black Students to host this year’s event, highlighting hip hop and R&B music from the ‘90s.

The event included performances by the University of Miami’s KAOS dance team and the Melodic Vibrations Band. The president of UBS, Glen Howard Jr., emceed the event. Howard, a senior majoring in broadcast journalism from Miami, says he agreed to partner with this event to build a deeper connection to all students of all identities and races on campus.

“This event encompasses everything UBS is about,” Howard said. “Uniting the black community here at the University of Miami provides a source through which the overall University community may experience black culture and become more educated about black heritage.”

In addition to the music, students played trivia about R&B and hip hop artists like Eminem and Chance the Rapper. Salty Donut and Mr. Kream Wynwood also offered treats during the event.

Zoria Telfare, a sophomore majoring in exercise physiology and the public relations co-chair for UBS, attended the event in support of United Black Students. Telfare says that her favorite part about the event was the vibe of the whole event, especially the connection between the performers and the audience.

“It is always important to have events on campus that cater to minorities, not just the black community but all races and cultures that are underrepresented,” said Telfare. “I believe these events help bring together these communities and enhance their sense of belonging on campus”

The Melodic Harmonies performed popular songs from the ‘90s such as “Going Down” by Mary J. Blige, “Poison” by Bell Biv DeVoe, “This Is How We Do It” by Montell Jordan and “Pony” by Ginuwine. The crowd sang along and at one point, one member of the audience even approached the stage to take the microphone to finish the lyrics. With the blue and pink spotlights facing the stage and a beautiful full moon in the sky, the band spread positive energy that was “all love.”

Jayda Graham

The director of the Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center is named the first holder of the Oscar de ...

With the new movie about Fred Rogers opening in theaters today, University of Miami faculty reflect ...

University of Miami students share how they blend together new and old traditions this upcoming holi ...

Jenna Efrein, a senior lecturer in glass in the Art and Art History Department, wants your help coll ...

More and more people are dabbling in side jobs to bring in some extra cash, a growing trend helped a ...

Behind 55 points from its starting backcourt trio, the Miami men's basketball team posted a 74- ...

The Miami women's basketball team is headed to the Windy City to participate in the Maggie Dixo ...

The Miami swimming & diving team hits the road for a pair of midseason meets this weekend, with ...

Miami's young offensive line took its share of lumps early. But the group's focus and reso ...

Shaquille Quarterman arrived at Miami hoping to make a difference. He's done that and more. Now ...