Community, News

School of Architecture hosts annual golf tournament to raise money for study abroad opportunities

golf picture.png

Golfers participate in the annual School of Architecture golf tournament. Photo credit: Joanna Ugo

The Rome Program, with the participation of the School of Architecture, held a Golf Tournament at Crandon Golf in Key Biscayne to fund its study abroad program, Friday, Oct. 11.

The program came to be as a result of faculty interest in sharing their expertise and Italian topics related to architecture and urban design of cities. Undergraduate students can register during the last two years to study design, drawing, history, the theory of architecture and urban design. The program is optional; however, 70 percent of the graduating class is expected to enroll every semester.

Tomas Spain, a retired professor from the University of Miami and founder of the Rome program, started the first golf tournament 13 years ago to help sponsor the study overseas. It also helps award students with scholarships and a variety of expenses, such as visits to other cities related to their seminars and studio themes.

“It’s very important in the history of architecture and design of cities,” said Carmen Guerrero, director of the Rome program.

Guerrero started teaching at the University of Miami in 2001. As her research was central to modern Italy, the school asked her to be the coordinator of the program at the time. The professor further developed the program as student interest grew. She knew it was a “very powerful recruitment tool.”

Golfers came in in the morning, and after they registered, “the incredible staff of student volunteers” from SoA and its faculty members held a BBQ lunch. All players received free clothes with the name of the school on it, and the participants walked through different sponsor stands.

The tournament started at noon and lasted four hours. One hundred twenty players registered — a record for the golf tournament. At the end of the afternoon, the school held a networking reception, an auction and a raffle.

For more information go to https://www.arc.miami.edu/news-and-events/events/golf-2019/index.html.

For questions about the Rome program go to https://www.arc.miami.edu/academics/umsoa-in-rome/index.html or contact Carmen Guerrero by email carmeng@miami.edu.

Joanna Ugo

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of

University of Miami Libraries has launched Documenting COVID-19: South Florida’s Pandemic Experience