Community, News

School of Architecture hosts annual golf tournament to raise money for study abroad opportunities

golf picture.png

Golfers participate in the annual School of Architecture golf tournament. Photo credit: Joanna Ugo

The Rome Program, with the participation of the School of Architecture, held a Golf Tournament at Crandon Golf in Key Biscayne to fund its study abroad program, Friday, Oct. 11.

The program came to be as a result of faculty interest in sharing their expertise and Italian topics related to architecture and urban design of cities. Undergraduate students can register during the last two years to study design, drawing, history, the theory of architecture and urban design. The program is optional; however, 70 percent of the graduating class is expected to enroll every semester.

Tomas Spain, a retired professor from the University of Miami and founder of the Rome program, started the first golf tournament 13 years ago to help sponsor the study overseas. It also helps award students with scholarships and a variety of expenses, such as visits to other cities related to their seminars and studio themes.

“It’s very important in the history of architecture and design of cities,” said Carmen Guerrero, director of the Rome program.

Guerrero started teaching at the University of Miami in 2001. As her research was central to modern Italy, the school asked her to be the coordinator of the program at the time. The professor further developed the program as student interest grew. She knew it was a “very powerful recruitment tool.”

Golfers came in in the morning, and after they registered, “the incredible staff of student volunteers” from SoA and its faculty members held a BBQ lunch. All players received free clothes with the name of the school on it, and the participants walked through different sponsor stands.

The tournament started at noon and lasted four hours. One hundred twenty players registered — a record for the golf tournament. At the end of the afternoon, the school held a networking reception, an auction and a raffle.

For more information go to https://www.arc.miami.edu/news-and-events/events/golf-2019/index.html.

For questions about the Rome program go to https://www.arc.miami.edu/academics/umsoa-in-rome/index.html or contact Carmen Guerrero by email carmeng@miami.edu.

Joanna Ugo

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.