Edge, Music

Frost Symphony Orchestra to perform ‘Mysterious Mountain’

The Frost Symphony Orchestra will be performing “Mysterious Mountain” Saturday, Oct. 12, from 7:30 to 9 p.m. at the Gusman Concert Hall.

The new symphony director Gerard Schwarz will be conducting the performance, which will be divided into three different segments.

“It has been very rewarding working with Maestro Schwarz this season, especially with the repertoire he selects,” said Ella Tomko, a sophomore majoring in cello performance.

“Mysterious Mountain” after Alan Hovhaness’s second symphony will be the first piece performed. The second part will be featuring two strings faculty members, violin professor Charles Castleman and cello professor and director of strings Ross Harbaugh. The concert will end with Dmitri Shostakovich’s tenth symphony, which will be one hour long.

Tomko has been a cellist in FSO since freshman year and said her experience has been emotional.

“There have been several rehearsals where I have gotten emotional because of how powerful it is to be playing Shostakovich 10,” Tomko said. “He was such an amazing composer. you can really feel the suffering he was trying to communicate through his music.”

This will be the Frost Symphony Orchestra’s second performance of the year.

“I’m extremely excited to play this program for everyone this weekend. We’ve been working pretty hard on it, and I want to share our progress and the tremendous pieces,” Tomko said. “I’m also super excited to show off my teacher.”

Tickets can be purchased at: https://ci.ovationtix.com/1811/production/1016031?performanceId=10445944.

Price for general admission is $25 and $20 for seniors.

For questions about the event, call the Frost School of Music at 305-284-2241.

Cinthya Franco

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.