Sports, Tennis, Volleyball

Weekly roundup: Volleyball, tennis

Volleyball

volleyball.jpg

The Miami volleyball team celebrates during their winning match against Virginia. Photo courtesy UM Women's Volleyball

For the first time in nearly a month, the Hurricanes were at home in front of their fans at the Knight Complex, where UM hosted their conference home opener on Friday against the nationally fourth ranked Pittsburgh Panthers. While UM was able to play Pitt tough in all three sets, the Canes fell in 3-0 fashion (26-24, 25-23, 25-17). Redshirt junior Elizaveta Lukianova recorded a career-high .611 hitting percentage to supplement a game-high 13 kills. Miami saved the first three set points of the second set, but ultimately failing to win the fourth point needed to extend the set. Freshman Savannah Vach had a game-high 34 assists and fellow newcomer Amanda Falck had 11 digs, also a game-high, as Miami held the Panthers to their lowest attack percentage in ACC play, hitting just .280.

UM got a better result on Sunday, defeating the visiting Virginia Cavaliers 3-2 (25-18, 20-25, 25-21, 21-25, 15-11). Three Hurricanes recorded double-figure kills, led by freshman Janet Kalaniuvalu’s 15, followed by freshman Kennedy Prince’s 12 and redshirt junior Madison Dill’s 11. Falck’s 16 digs was another game-high, followed closely by Priscilla Hernandez’s 12. Vach registered 46 of Miami’s 50 assists, once again a game-high.

The Canes (7-5, 3-1 ACC) have now won five of their last six overall and take their momentum on the road, where they’ll play at North Carolina on Oct. 11 and at NC State on Oct. 13.

Women’s Tennis

Two Hurricanes got off to a head start at the ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Senior Yuna Ito defeated Houston’s Mimi Kendall-Woseley, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1 Saturday in the first round of the pre-qualifying draw that was interrupted by weather. Her teammate, sophomore Lucia Marzal was also victorious, winning 6-3, 6-3 over Katarina Kopcalic of Washington. The players were back Sunday for the second round, with Ito falling to Alexandra Mikhailuk of Mississippi State, 0-6, 0-6. Marzel meanwhile fell in three sets, 4-6, 3-6, 1-6.

In the main qualifying round, sophomore Daevenia Achong would fall Monday, 6-3, 6-3 to Princeton’s Daria Frayman. Achong teamed up with defending singles national champion Estela Perez-Somarriba in the first round of the doubles qualification round

Perez-Somarriba’s spot in the singles main draw is already assured, where she will play her first match of the tournament on October 9. The competition runs through October 13. After finishing in Tulsa, the team splits up again for ITF tournaments in Florence, SC, and Austin, TX.

Men’s Tennis

Three men’s players joined the Women at Tulsa’s All-American Championships.

In Monday’s first qualifying round, junior Bojan Jankulovskifell in a three-set dogfight to South Alabama’s Loic Cloes, 1-6, 6-3, 6-2. Like Jankulovski, sophomore Francisco Bastias got his match started on the right foot by winning the first set, but ran out of gas late and lost 4-6, 6-1, 6-0 to Jake Sands of USC.

Junior Adria Soriano Barrera has received automatic entry for a main draw, October 9 match. Like the Women’s tournament, the Men’s side will also be completed on October 13. After the All-American Championships, the Men’s squad splits up to go to the Bedford Cup at Florida State from October 11-13, and the Georgia Tech Invitational over the same weekend.

Austin Pert

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.